Apples are practically synonymous with the beginning of fall in the south. But can an apple a day really keep the doctor away? While we can’t guarantee they will, there are some undeniable health benefits of apples that make a good case for themselves. These are just a few reasons you should embrace the abundance of one of nature’s perfect fruits this fall!
• Fight diseases such as cancer, hypertension, diabetes and heart disease with the phytonutrients and antioxidants found in apples.
• Increase neurological health and potentially prevent the development of neurological disorders thanks in part to the antioxidant “quercetin.” Quercetin is also known to boost your immune system!
• Maintain and improve digestive health due to the great source of fiber provided by the fruit. Calms digestive issues and improves issues such as IBS.
• Detoxify your liver by adding this (and other fruits) to your diet. Eating apples regularly aids the body in releasing toxins in the liver.
• Help fight cataracts with fruits, like apples, because of their richness in important antioxidants.
Want a unique way to enjoy apples?
Try Cooking Light’s Fresh Apple Salsa!
2 cups diced peeled Spartan apple (about 3/4 pound)
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup diced red onion
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
Combine ingredients, stirring well. Chill and serve.Leave a reply →